Sunday, November 6, 2011

Snips and Snails and Puppy Dog Tails

I try really hard to follow my own advice about kids and pets, but toddlers move so fast it's almost impossible to prevent disaster sometimes. 


The other day while I was getting ready for work, my toddler starting shrieking in pain down the hall. I rushed out to see our new kitten Larry dropping unceremoniously from my son's arms and a fresh scratch mark adorning the boy's face. My son is lucky that his introduction to claws was at the paws of an innocent kitten who meant no real harm!  


Babies and pets co-exist peacefully in many homes. There are amazing stories of devotion--and even heroism--from dogs and cats toward their human babies. However, I have also seen terrifying and unexpected violence from family pets toward infants. In a particularly gruesome case, a female Golden Retriever grabbed the newborn's head in her mouth and shook repeatedly! Thankfully, the baby survived the incident.  My rule of thumb has become never leave an infant and pet unattended.

For years I have warned clients with small infants not to feel too secure in their dog or cat's love for the new baby. At the newborn stage, Fluffy probably thinks of Junior as a curiosity with his strange squalling, aromatic diaper changes and many accoutrements (strollers and swings, etc.) that make a great place for a cat nap. Once Junior starts dropping tasty tidbits from his high chair, Fido undoubtedly becomes his biggest fan (and gains a few pounds in the bargain). But when Junior gets mobile, WATCH OUT!


Try as I might, I could not keep my pet and toddler
separate 100% of the time (much to the Spaniel's chagrin).

Once Junior starts to move around on his own, keeping him away from the family pets can be a huge challenge. That soft four-legged creature under the table is an awfully attractive nuisance. Often the only solution is strict segregation. Doing so not only keeps Junior safe but also allows Fido and Fluffy to truly relax. (Have you ever witnessed a resting dog warily watching the creeping baby? The dread is almost palpable.) 

I'm full of sage advice regarding pets and kids, but I'll admit not even I could keep my sons from being nipped at by our family dog. Statistics support what I've experienced in my home: dog bite injuries are higher among boys than girls. We used to call our daughter "The Dog Whisperer" because we'd catch her with her tiny cherubic face inches away from the muzzle of our highly annoyed spaniel. This same spaniel did not tolerate the same proximity from our first and third children -- both boys. I think in general boys -- "snips and snails and puppy dog tails -- must be perceived as more dangerous than girls -- "sugar and spice and everything nice." Any dog that feels trapped in a threatening situation (under a table, in its kennel, on a chain or leash) is more likely to bite even if it's not in her nature to do so.


While bites of varying severity happen daily in households across America, I should mention that any animal bite or scratch that breaks skin may require rabies quarantining (even of puppies and kittens).  If you are concerned, ask your veterinarian for advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment